There isn't one nice thing I can say about our old laundry room other than it wasn't a bad size. It's a little larger than what we have now, but that's it. It was old, outdated, and dangerous. Our inspector found that the dryer vented to the roof and somehow also allowed the lint to build up in the gas water heater closet (located behind this door). It was literally a fire just waiting to happen. Before learning about this I hadn't planned to do anything but freshen it up a bit.
I started brainstorming how to fix the problem other than just having the roof vent cleaned out, and came up with a plan using this space in our garage. This corner was destined to become a dumping ground for random things and a perfect place for spiders to make a nice little home, so we decided to use this to open up the laundry room, move the washer and dryer down, and allow the dryer to vent to the side of the home.
When we opened up the walls, we discovered there had been what looked to be some sort of electrical fire behind the dryer outlet. I'm so thankful we did this to make it safe again. We're also getting all new plumbing in here and in the bathrooms, as well as updating all of our electrical in the house because we found out our old panel and wiring to the house is a fire hazard (thank you again, inspector!). Also, check out the gutter downspout that they used to vent the dryer to the roof... what!?
Here it is all opened up. Even though not much has changed yet, it already feels so much better in here. We'll also eventually put in a window to brighten it up like our current laundry room.
You can see our new patio door that will be going in soon! Those unfinished cabinets will be painted and put in the laundry room, along with cabinets to store all of our cleaning supplies, brooms, vacuums, etc. During our next round of renovations sometime in the fall, we'll also be moving our water heater to this corner and turning our current water heater space into a coat closet.
Pretty soon we'll be ready for the fun part - making it look good! I'm painting the walls Sunlit Coral, which we used in our previous laundry room.
I haven't made up my mind about floors yet, but I want something affordable because we will eventually be changing out flooring throughout the entire house. Right now I'm leaning towards these large tiles that have a linen texture to them. I think they look fresh next to the paint color, and they are totally affordable at less than $2 a square foot!
Today the rest of our plumbing is going in the bathroom along with new drywall and cement board. I'll be sharing the progress of both the bath and kitchen soon!